Wiki, bitrot, code and greetings!

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sat Dec 8 23:39:53 CET 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-24 04:53:42 -0500, Joel Heikkila <jjheik at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyway, the derivative has been made by taking a LMO kernel (i.e. one
> > from linux-mips.org) and applying VAX-specific bits from Jan-Benedict's
> > repository that used to live at:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jbglaw/vax-linux.git
> >
> > and was last updated up to 2.6.23-rc4 according to my most recent daily
> > snapshot.  I have no idea if the repository has been restored after the
> > kernel.org outage earlier this year.  And I don't really know what the
> > status of the kernel port is as Jan-Benedict has been busy and distracted
> > with some more important matters recently.  I have cc-ed him in case
> > (hope?) he has anything to add.
[...]
> Hosting some repositories on vax-linux.org seems natural.

Think so, too. We'll get that sorted out.

> Speaking of the SourceForge site, does anyone subscribed have write
> access to it?  Changing it to a redirect to vax-linux.org would be
> useful, as a search on Google for "vax linux" current returns the SF
> site and the vax-linux.org site first and second, respectively.  The
> two sites look fairly similar so it's confusing for someone searching
> those terms to determine which is the right place.  (I had sent a
> couple emails and registration requests to the pergamentum mailing
> list before I realized this one existed.)

I do!  ...and I've added a redirect the other day.

Also, a kind friend fixed the Wiki. Should work right now, after you
created an account. (That's to fight Wiki spam.)

> As for me, well, I'm a fan of the VAX but I don't currently have any
> hardware, so my contributions will have to be limited to what can be
> done under SIMH, as a pair of eyes and hands for poking code, writing
> docs and as moral support.

AFAIR, Linux used to boot on the SIMH vax.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:              Träume nicht von Deinem Leben: Lebe Deinen Traum!