[LV] Now for another bit of noise , ok any noise ...

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Mon Mar 2 22:34:31 CET 2009

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> GCC does, but not libc, does it? All that sin/exp/cos/... stuff... And

 It's been written for IEEE 754 already and porting to VAX is
straightforward.  A bit boring though, indeed.  Fortunately the most
boring stuff can be done with simple scriptery -- for me that being mostly
`sed' and `bash'.

> keep in mind that there are two alternative float types that could
> makeup the `double' type in C.

 Of which only one makes sense for the modern world.  I mean compatibility
with the PDP-11 is less of a concern for us than with the rest of hardware
running Linux, isn't it?

 There is also the "long double" H-float type currently unsupported even
by GCC.  It should be straightforward to add too -- no rocket science
here.  It's optional for hardware, but at least the NVAX implements it in
silicon which makes it attractive for me. ;)

  Maciej