[LV] Status of the toolchain build scripts?

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sun Jun 17 22:53:29 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-17 22:28:30 +0200, Mikkel Lauritsen <mikkel-vax at tala.dk> wrote:
> Now I have managed to build GCC and binutils, but the build of the 2.6.12
> kernel which is part of the upstream checkout fails with an internal com-
> piler error. I'll go get the kernel from kernel.org instead and see what
> happens there.

We're talking about several different kernel sources here.
Unfortunately.

(1) There's Linus's regular upstream kernel.
(2) There's the GIT repository (in my directory on kernel.org) that
    contains the last recent VAX development
(3) Finally, there's the older 2.6.x based kernel in SF.net's CVS
    repository.

For building the toolchain, the initial_checkout script checks out
-3-. (I did it that way to not force everybody to use GIT. However, my
mind changed in the mean time and I'd accept a patch updating the
script to fetch -2- instead.)

Linus's upstream kernel won't work, no chance there: It's missing the
VAX bits, which libc (as part of a userland-capable compiler) will
need to have. OTOH, for kernel-only work, you shouldn't need all that
much kernel code at all :)

MfG, JGB

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:             God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of