[LV] Status of the toolchain build scripts?

Mikkel Lauritsen mikkel-vax at tala.dk
Sun Jun 17 22:28:30 CEST 2007

I'll keep this on the list, as other n00b's could potentially use the info -
let me know if I shouldn't do that.

Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw at lug-owl.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-06-17 18:45:28 +0200, Mikkel Lauritsen <mikkel-vax at tala.dk>
> wrote:

--- snip ---

>> I have bumped into the more serious issue
>> that the vax-dec-linux-uclibc target tuple is not supported by the GCC
>> 4.3.0 that the scripts check out.
>
> I only use vax-linux-uclibc...  build_toolchain should apply a number
> of patches, one may fiddle with target configuration. In fact,
> gcc-000003-add-vax-linux-target.patch is responsible for that.

Thanks a lot for the prompt response, and so do I. The vax-dev-linux-uclibc
target tuple was apparently the result of some kind of canonicalization that
the GCC configuration process performs.

>> Is this as intended, have I screwed up in obtaining some patches or is
>> there another reason? Any suggestions for how to get around this problem
>> would be much appreciated as my Vaxen are itching for a freshly built
>> kernel...
>
> No, it's not!  You're obviously missing at least one patch; probably
> all others, too...

In fact I was missing all the patches. The problem turned out to be that
I had pointed VAX_PATCHES_PATH at someplace else than toolchain/patches -
I hadn't noticed that the patches were checked out as part of the tool-
chain module.

Now I have managed to build GCC and binutils, but the build of the 2.6.12
kernel which is part of the upstream checkout fails with an internal com-
piler error. I'll go get the kernel from kernel.org instead and see what
happens there.

Thanks,
  Mikkel