Wiki, bitrot, code and greetings!

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Tue Nov 27 15:11:50 CET 2012

Hi Joel,

> A few points, questions and so on.
>
> First of all, it's exciting to see some new life to this project in
> the last year!

 Undoubtedly, thanks for your moral support! :)

> I've noticed the wiki isn't configured still, which is a bit of a
> hindrance for starting to document things.
>
> The repository mentioned by Maciej in the Dec 2011 message
>
> > Anyway, the derivative has been made by taking a LMO kernel (i.e. one
> > from linux-mips.org) and applying VAX-specific bits from Jan-Benedict's
> > repository that used to live at:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jbglaw/vax-linux.git
> >
> > and was last updated up to 2.6.23-rc4 according to my most recent daily
> > snapshot.  I have no idea if the repository has been restored after the
> > kernel.org outage earlier this year.  And I don't really know what the
> > status of the kernel port is as Jan-Benedict has been busy and distracted
> > with some more important matters recently.  I have cc-ed him in case
> > (hope?) he has anything to add.
>
> is still down and presumably will continue to be.  For that matter,
> ftp.linux-mips.org with Maciej's RPMs is also down. Perhaps related to
> their late Sept. move to a new host?

 Correct, there's been some configuration issue with the FTP server since
the migration I'm told.  I hope it'll be resolved soon at which point I
hope the contents can be regularly mirrored, preferably to somewhere
within vax-linux.org.  Data is definitely not lost, I can access the
directory structure locally just fine.

 I hope Jan-Benedict (cc-ed) can step in and update us on the kernel GIT
repo status.

> The only code I can find is on the SourceForge site in the CVS --
> untouched since ~2005?
>
> Hosting some repositories on vax-linux.org seems natural.

 Agreed.

> Speaking of the SourceForge site, does anyone subscribed have write
> access to it?  Changing it to a redirect to vax-linux.org would be
> useful, as a search on Google for "vax linux" current returns the SF
> site and the vax-linux.org site first and second, respectively.  The
> two sites look fairly similar so it's confusing for someone searching
> those terms to determine which is the right place.  (I had sent a
> couple emails and registration requests to the pergamentum mailing
> list before I realized this one existed.)

 Thanks for raising the point, I am supposed to have access to the site,
although I had never got to doing anything about it before sf.net was
compromised a while ago.  I should be able to restore access, I'm told, so
I'll see what I can do about it.  My experience with sf.net is nil though,
so please be forgiving. :)

> As for me, well, I'm a fan of the VAX but I don't currently have any
> hardware, so my contributions will have to be limited to what can be
> done under SIMH, as a pair of eyes and hands for poking code, writing
> docs and as moral support.

 Good, we've been looking for people willing to provide us with such kind
of aid!  Stay tuned.

 Let's have the FTP repo fixed first and feel free to cc me directly on
any queries as my mailing-list following skills are not as good these days
as I wished they were.

  Maciej