[LV] Now for another bit of noise , ok any noise ...

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Fri Mar 6 10:53:48 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 11:55:32 +1030, Kim Hawtin <kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> So what tasks could I work on?

I have a gcc-HEAD based VAX kernel-only compiler, Maciej has a 4.1.x
based one, which is probably even soon capable of building userland
applications.

However, the very next step is to forward-port our old kernel patches
to a recent snapshot. I guess that's nothing that could easily be done
in parallel.

If you'd like to build something, I'd suggest you prepare a present to
Maciej and implement H_floats in GCC. This means to write an encode
and a decode function (building the binary representation of a float
value supplied as a broken-up struct and versa vice). This is done in
gcc/float.c, as examples (straight forward) there are already the
encoders/decoders for F, D and G floats in that file. The final part
is to wire them up in the gcc/config/vax/ directory, but for now only
in the Linux case.

I'll send a build receipt and the current set of patches to the list
soon.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:               Träume nicht von Dein Leben: Lebe Deinen Traum!