[LV] Now for another bit of noise , ok any noise ...

Kim Hawtin kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Mar 2 01:34:22 CET 2009

Hi,

Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>>>  	After another ~ 6 Months of silence since the last time I piped up here
>>> .  There hasn't been any other notes on this list .  I am beginning to think
>>> the linux-vax port is dead .
>> Well, I'm not dead and so is not the port. :)
>  	This is very good news ,  Both parts :) .

=)

>>>  	I hope someone will respond with something positive and that the list &
>>> project are NOT dead & People are still activily modifying code & just not
>>> communicating their successes &/or failures here .
>> I can't speak for the others, but myself I've been recently working on
>> code (and cursing broken patches for the compiler) more actively then
>> ever.  If you volunteer to become a tester, then I will have a nice
>> surprise for you soon, i.e. once I have something remotely buildable and
>> ready to debug. ;)  Hopefully that'll happen in less than half a year's
>> time.  Stay tuned.
>  	Test ? He says ,  I've been ready for the last 2-4 Years to test .
>  	I check this mail-list everry few hours (usually) .
>  	I very much hope for something to test ,  Tho sure would be nice to have
> a user environment .  But I'll play with anything to keep this port alive .
>
>> That TURBOchannel patch I posted two years ago ;) needs polishing and
>> including too, but that's next.
>>  Maciej
>  	Well all my Vax'n are qbus so turbochannel isn't inside my testability
> at this time .  But most anything else I can test .

The weather is cooling down again, no longer 30c at night, soon I will need a heater!
ie; turn on the uVAXII's. I have had them netbooting last winter/autumn, but I did
not have much in the way of a working root file system to do testing with. I had
netbsd netbooting, with root and swap over NFS, for the VAXes and a couple of Sun3's.
I would like to get a better root file system and native build environment going again.
Thoughts? I also have space to host source & images if required.

What is the best way to host the build environment?
Cross compiled from i386 or on something like simh?

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin at adelaide.edu.au