[LV] VAX/Linux package bugfix updates

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Mon Dec 28 01:06:40 CET 2009

Hello,

 I have uploaded bugfix releases of glibc and binutils packages, fixing
thread safety problems in strstr() and strrchr() in the former and text
section detection in the latter.  I have uploaded a couple of other
packages for cross-compilation too (I don't expect to make special
announcements of these in the future, so please check the site from time
to time if interested).

 Package availability:

ftp://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/linux/mips/people/macro/SRPMS/

vax-linux-binutils-2.20-2.src.rpm
vax-linux-flex-2.5.31-4.src.rpm
vax-linux-glibc-2.4-14.src.rpm
vax-linux-pam-0.79-5.src.rpm

ftp://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/linux/mips/people/macro/RPMS/

i386/vax-linux-binutils-2.20-2.i386.rpm
noarch/vax-linux-flex-devel-2.5.31-4.noarch.rpm
noarch/vax-linux-glibc-debug-2.4-14.noarch.rpm
noarch/vax-linux-glibc-devel-2.4-14.noarch.rpm
noarch/vax-linux-glibc-profile-2.4-14.noarch.rpm
noarch/vax-linux-glibc-static-2.4-14.noarch.rpm
noarch/vax-linux-pam-devel-0.79-5.noarch.rpm
noarch/vax-linux-pam-static-0.79-5.noarch.rpm

 I have made progress on the GCC front -- the following components have
been ported: GNAT (the Ada-95 compiler), FFI (the Foreign Function
Interface library) and Boehm-GC (the Boehm Garbage Collector component).

 I'm currently working on the Java Classpath library; unfortunately, due
to the difference between the floating-point format supported by VAX
hardware and the IEEE-754 floating-point standard implied by Java, the
library is going to be non-standard.  I'm currently investigating whether
it's reasonably feasible to correctly support IEEE-754 floating-point
literals in Java bytecode interpreted by GIJ running on VAX (as long as
they fall within the range supported by hardware) and only emit
floating-point literals in the native format for native binaries.  Any
suggestions are welcome.

 Happy New Year, everyone!

  Maciej