[LV] VAXstation 4000/96

9000 VAX vax9000 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:04:41 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro at linux-mips.org>wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>
> > I tried to get my hands on a m96 some two or three weeks ago, but in
> > the end, it was "way" too expensive for me.
> >
> > If anybody has a '96 around, please let me know.
>
>  The /96 is no different from /90 or /90A.  Or are you after performance?
> I expect the time required to natively bootstrap GCC on one of these
> machines to be in the range of three to four weeks, so I suppose 30% of a
> difference in performace will matter to some extent. ;)

90 price is in the "hundreds" range, maybe between $200 to $400. On the
other hand, 96 price is in the "thousand" range, maybe between $1200 to
$1600. This is because 96 is still sought by certain industry. I have had
three 96's and one or two 90's, so I knew the difference.The result is I
sold my 96 and used the money to buy other more interesting,  less expensive
items.

vax9000