[LV] The kernel build process & tools any changes .

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Sat Mar 17 22:42:38 CET 2007

 	Hello Kenn ,

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Kenn Humborg wrote:
>>> I think the getting-started guide at
>>> http://linux-vax.sourceforge.net/docs/README is still valid.
>>
>>  	Thank you .
>>  	Hmm ,  Document dated 12-Nov-2005 (actually is) .  I do rememeber
>> Jan-Benedict saying something about moving the repo to kernel.org
>> for the kernel
>> .  And there were changes to the tools for building the kernel
>> with ,  shortly
>> before this moving from cvs to svn/git .  All that was some
>> months after the
>> date on that file .
>
> That doc talks about getting the kernel sources from Jan-Benedict's
> GIT tree on kernel.org.  The CVS-to-SVN change was not in our
> sources, but in the upstream sources for GCC, binutils and/or uclibc.
> The initial_cvs_checkout.sh script (in our CVS repository) does
> the SVN checkout for you.
>
> So I don't think the README is all that out of date :-)

 	OUCH ,  Was really more than a year ago ?-}

>>  	I'll search the mailing list achives .  And see if I can find the
>> updated instructions that Jan-Benedict sent out .  When I was
>> attempting to
>> build a bootable kernel for my uVax3000-xxx(qbus) system .
>>  		Tnx again ,  JimL
>
> If you still have the toolchain you built before, I'd suggest using
> that rather than building a fresh one from the HEAD of the upstream
> sources.  I suspect that our GCC patches may not apply cleanly to
> GCC HEAD, since it has been a long time since they were updated.
>
> OTOH, if you plan to update the patches to apply to HEAD, I'm sure
> Jan-Benedict would be happy!

 	Yes ,  He would be .  But not with the cra^Hud I'd be sticking in there
 	I read his todo list he put in this thread .  It looks like I'll only be
able to compile up the present version of the Kernel from the git repo .  Which
I'll do soon .  I am going to try my hand at including support for my uVax4000
but mostly I expect my efforts to fall alot short of that accomplishment .
 	I am also still hoping to build some of userland when all the flack
settles down .  But ,  we'll see .
 		Twyl ,  JimL