[LV] "ARCH=vax" and "CROSS_COMPILE=vax-dec-linux-"?

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Thu Nov 16 10:42:04 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 20:15:57 +1100, Neale Banks <neale at id.oz.au> wrote:
> Looking further at Documentation/vax/README, I see that gcc and binutils
> are built with a prefix of vax-dec-linux- but I can't see where this
> prefix gets used in compiling the kernel.

I haven't build for that target in eons of time and I guess it just
won't work.

> The top-level Makefile indicates that CROSS_COMPILE should be set with
> such a prefix.
>
> Should we have both "ARCH=vax" and "CROSS_COMPILE=vax-dec-linux-" when
> compiling the kernel for VAX?

ARCH=xxxx is generally needed when cross-compiling. CROSS_COMPILE=yyy
is generally needed when using a different compiler than native `gcc'.

I suggest to use build_toolchain.sh's default of "vax-linux-uclibc" as
it's build target and then use CROSS_COMPILE=vax-linux-uclibc- .

> Or have I missed something here?

You got fooled by old documentation. Sorry for that.  If we ever get
GNU libc up'n'running (which got harder since it now requires NPTL/TLS
and a zero reloc capable set of binutils), that'll shorten to
CROSS_COMPILE=vax-linux- .

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481